Faith Statement of the Protestant Institute of Arts and Social Sciences (PIASS)
Being a Protestant institution of Higher Education, the Protestant Institute of Arts and Social Sciences, from its inception, takes inspiration from the statement of faith of its member churches. We affirm the following as fundamental to Christian belief and biblically grounded:
- THE HOLY SCRIPTURES OF THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS, as the written Word originally given by God through revelation to humans, inspired, infallible, entirely trustworthy, and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct since they contain all things necessary for salvation.
- ONE GOD, eternally existent in Three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- God is the Creator and Sustainer of the world and of life thanks to His universal sovereignty over all that He has made in heaven and on earth.
- OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, God manifest in the flesh, whose life, death and resurrection, has atoned for our sin and reconciled us with God. His bodily resurrection, His ascension, His mediatorial work, and His personal return in Power and Glory remain a firm source of our hope for our present and life to come.
- THE HOLY SPIRIT, one of the persons of the Trinity, witnesses to Christ, regenerates and sanctifies us. His indwelling enables us to witness and to serve the Triune God and humankind through different spiritual gifts and talents.
- THE UNITY OF ALL THOSE WHO, through believing and confessing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Saviour of the world, form a community of children of God, the Church, the Body of Christ of which He is the Head.
- THE BODILY RESURRECTION of all the dead and the final judgment.
As a Church-owned institution, PIASS overall conviction and calling is to build a world in which the love of God for His creation and that we have for one another is visible and lived in concrete experiences. To stand firm in its faith and succeed in its mission, the following commitments and strategies are set as safeguards:
- PIASS is committed to reading, teaching and preaching the Holy Scriptures in their plain and canonical sense through an in-depth analysis, and to applying their message.
- PIASS is committed to promoting Ecumenism within it and among Protestant Churches in Rwanda and beyond as an opportunity and strategy to affirm our Christian witness and fight against separatism, destructive fundamentalism and any form of extremism.
- PIASS has included in its code of conduct the promotion of Christian and positive values among its staff, students and all its partners. These are Liberation, Relevance, Unity in Diversity, Effectiveness and Efficiency, Quality Service Delivery, Innovation, Responsibility, Solidarity, Collaboration, Transparency, and Good
- PIASS is engaged in the ministry of reconciliation and search for peace within surrounding communities, in the Rwandan society and in the Great Lakes sub-region.
- PIASS is committed to supporting initiatives likely to improve the living conditions of communities.
- PIASS is committed to supporting the weakest among us and to building healing communities where everyone finds a place.